Saturday, December 1, 2007

Letting Go of God



I heard a woman talk on NPR a couple of days ago named Julia Sweeny. Julie has written a book called, "Letting Go of God" and travels around the country speaking about the idea of letting God go. She grew up in Catholothism and now is atheist after REALLY reading the bible. As the show was going on I was writing a couple of things down that I wanted to blog about because it was just so curious to me. She discussed how if people REALLY read the bible the would realize you can't possibly believe what's in their because it's crazy. God asking you to kill you son? She also said we have no evidence of GOD at all or for anything that happened in the bible. She feels like she has a higher level of thinking now after letting go of God because now she can actually think and question things. Next up was the caller who stated Sweeney has really helped him to Let Go of God but he describes the process as "graduating" from God and he has moved on to a more sophisticated level of thinking because of it. At the beginning of the call he talked about growing up Mormon and doing the whole mission thing and in the middle of the call said he had to move on from the church because he was gay.

I was so intrigued due to the argument, most often laid by far left liberals, that believing in God is frankly naive and to believe in God, you must not have stopped to question, challenge or critically think about anything. Because if you had, well you wouldn't believe to be quite frank. I can totally see how the stories in the bible are "crazy" if looked at through our modern day lens and not considered from their context. I can also see how the stories have gotten somewhat lost in translation. I also think it's sad when people get so into the intellectual process they miss out on the spiritual/intuitive process (I said spiritual not religious) and subtleties of life. If everything has to be scientifically proven well, that would discount a lot of things including my hips that healed due to fasting and praying? The group think is also not limited to Utah, I have found it in any place where their is a dominant cultural norm. Go to the bible belt and get your Baptist and Evangelical on, go to Utah and get your Mormon on, or don't, because religion is such a either or issue here (if you're not Mormon well then you're nothing), go to Hawaii and get your Polynesian on because if you're white in certain parts it simply won't cut it.

The call also reminded me of grad school in social work at the University of Utah where you literally had 30 people in each class divided into the "Mormons" and the "Liberated." The liberals, which included everybody that wasn't Mormon, would claim they were thoughtully open and liberated with their thinking--so open that they were closed to even discussing religion/spirituality period. Mormons were pegged, pinned up and not heard in those classes because "our arguments were naive and filtered through a religious lens." It was the first time I actually joined with 16 other students out of the 130 to talk to the dean to express some discrimination not just from the students but the professors. Mind you one of the aforementioned classes was a class on Diversity. I don't like Utah for that reason...religion is very polarized and it's just as bad if you are as if you aren't--at least in Salt Lake Silly.

As a self-proclaimed spiritual RepubliCrat who has found her place of expression and spiritual medium in Mormonism, I feel strongly to question and grapple with my religion, life's happenings and what is being taught within acaademia. I can question my Prophet and find out for myself if what he is saying is true. However, my process of questioning is not solely through my brain or science and what I know or can have proven to know. Does this make me naive, a blind follower? I think not, I think it opens me up to all of the possible ways to gather information through all of my God given senses--even the ones you can't see or prove.--@DP

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Well said, Kris. You do well at expressing yourself and committing it to paper.

One of the most favorite quotes my dad constantly reminds me of when I get in that place of hating the absolutism that trips me up in relation to my "religion"is, "the true mark of maturity is an individuals ability to deal with ambiguity." It was stated by Victor Hugo. It is a major theme in my life.

It is easy for me to get frustrated with all the stuff you refer to here. I ask myself the same kind of questions about what I belief and if my very personal, spiritual experience are merely due to psychology and a desire to WANT to feel the realness of my experience. At the end of the day I am left with being okay to stay in the question and allow myself to be comfortable in the ambiguity of life and religion and love and spirituality.

I too have found a very comfortable place for myself within Mormonism. It doesn't mean that I don't constantly question and allow myself room to grow.

Questioning is good and I embrace it as it seems you do too! I'm glad we are friends.

camihubrich said...

I think that stuff like this comes up so that we don't get complaicent in our thoughts and beliefs. It makes us take a step back and figure out if what we believed two months ago is what we still hold true to today.It also gives your family something to discuss over dinner.

Kim said...

Great post Kris! I totally forgot about this site of your but now I'm so happy I've found it again.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, and I don't recall how I came upon your blog but, I love it. I personally grew up mormon and am now what most would consider and atheist/agnostic. I for one, do not believe that anyone who believes in God is just uneducated. I actually would love to believe in a higher being. Anyone, I just wanted to say that the way you wrote about the subject was done really well, especially from my point of view where I am have a strong backing of Mormons but also see the other side :)